Recreation Insurance Myths

Do you own a recreational vehicle? If so, it’s important to make sure you have the right recreation insurance policy in place. Many people believe that their regular auto insurance policy will cover their RVs and other recreational vehicles, but this is not always the case. 

In fact, most standard policies don’t cover recreational vehicles. That’s why it’s important to research your options and find an insurance policy that meets your needs. In this blog post, we will debunk some of the most common recreation vehicle insurance myths.

Myth: All RVs are the same, so they all require the same insurance coverage.

There is a big difference between a Class A motorhome and a pop-up camper. The type of RV that you own will play a big role in determining the amount and type of coverage you need. For example, a Class A motorhome will typically require more coverage than a pop-up camper.

Myth: RV insurance is very expensive.

The cost of RV insurance varies depending on a number of factors, including the type and size of the RV you own, your driving record, where you live and more. However, there are plenty of ways to save on RV insurance. For example, if your home and auto policies are with the same provider, you may be able to get a discount. 

Myth: You don’t need RV insurance if you only use your RV for camping trips.

Even if you only use your RV for occasional camping trips, it’s still important to have the right insurance in place. If you’re in an accident or your RV is damaged or stolen, you could be left paying a high price without the proper coverage.

Myth: Your Auto or Home Insurance Policy covers your RV.

RVs require their own insurance policy. Your auto insurance policy can extend to your personal trailer, but once you unhitch and it is no longer connected to your vehicle, the coverage ends. Home insurance may provide some coverage while it is on your property, but it will not cover any damage that could happen while you travel. Only an RV insurance policy is able to provide full-time protection during travel and parked locations outside of your property.

Now that we’ve debunked some of the most common myths about recreation vehicle insurance, it’s time to start shopping for a policy that’s right for you. Make sure you’re getting the coverage you need to keep you and your family safe. 

If you’re looking at RV insurance options,  we encourage you to speak with your OKFB insurance agent about the coverage options available to you. If you have any other questions about insurance or need to be connected with an agent, please connect with us today. We are happy to help you find the coverage that best meets your home, auto, commercial and life insurance needs.  

Don’t forget to follow us on social media! This kind of information and more is just a click away. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.


3 Ways to Show You Care

Valentine’s Day is the perfect holiday to show your loved ones how much you care. This year, don’t just get flowers and chocolates. One gift that can truly last is insurance. It may not be as romantic as a dozen roses, but it can provide protection for life. 

  1. Protect Your Valuables

Home is where you usually feel safest and where you keep your most prized possessions. Whether you’re a homeowner or a renter, both insurance lines offer personal property coverage. Personal property coverage covers personal belongings inside a home in the event of damages or theft that may not be covered under a general Homeowners or Renters Insurance line. 

Personal property coverage can provide a sense of security and help in recuperating valuables. Reach out to your local OKFB Agent and see if the jewelry you have or are planning to give for Valentine’s Day is covered.

  1. Travel With Confidence

Planning a weekend getaway for the weekend of love? Whether you’re fishing at the lake, racing ATVs or cruising Route 66 in an RV, one way to protect your loved ones from the unexpected is with Recreational Insurance. We offer a wide range of coverage options that could help you when making new memories wherever your travels take you. 

  1. Support Your Employees

The COVID-19 pandemic has shown us that small businesses have to expect the unexpected and adapt quickly. Many Oklahoma businesses have suffered from lost revenue, staffing shortages or have had to close their doors completely. One way to show you care for your employees is to give the gift of insurance. Our fully-customizable Business Owners Insurance includes Loss of Income coverage that could help cover a loss of net income due to suspension of operations and help pay for continuing payroll expenses. 

BONUS – How We Care: Drive with Peace of Mind

One auto-related gift to offer a loved one, and no, we’re not talking about buying a car, is Roadside Rescue. As an OKFB member or policyholder, we give you the gift of Roadside Rescue. This is a free service that provides 24/7 assistance wherever you or your loved one is nationwide. Enjoy the gift of traveling with confidence and peace of mind wherever and whenever this Valentine’s Day.

Insurance coverage is a great way to show you care and to provide loved ones with protection and safety. Reach out to your local OKFB Insurance agent if you have questions about your existing plan or purchasing a new one. We’re here to help!

Quiz: How Well Do You Know Your Insurance Policy?

Are you familiar with your Oklahoma Farm Bureau Insurance policy?

“Yeah, I practically have it memorized!”

“…well, kinda.”


Answer the following questions to test your OKFB insurance policy knowledge. The prize for a perfect score? Major bragging rights. (Scroll down to see the answers!) However, if your score isn’t what you expected and you have some questions, don’t worry! Your OKFB agent will be happy to answer any questions you have – no matter how big or how small. We’re here for you.

  1. What is “umbrella coverage”?
    a. Coverage that only goes into effect during inclement weather
    b. Coverage that provides higher limits of protection
    c. Coverage that protects your umbrella against damage and/or theft
  2. Which of the following is NOT considered a ‘dwelling?’
    a. A home
    b. A mobile home
    c. Any shop that sells food or drink items
  3. If you want to contact your local agent, what do you do?
    a. Visit the Find An Agent page on the OKFB website
    b. Holler real loud
    c. Call the operator
  4. What is a CD?
    a. One of those tiny records kids are listening to these days
    b. Celine Dion’s initials, of course
    c. A certificate of deposit – a low-risk money management tool that provides you with a fixed interest rate
  5. Can a jet ski be placed on a boat insurance policy?
    a. Yes
    b. No
    c. Yes, but only if it’s really cool
  6. I’m building a home. Can I insure a home that’s under construction at any time throughout the construction process?
    a. Yes, as long it doesn’t have more than 5 bedrooms
    b. No, the policy must be put into effect before construction of the home begins above ground level
    c. Maybe, but your contractor will decide
  7. How many Oklahoma counties have OKFB Insurance offices?
    a. 5
    b. All 77
    c. 56
  8. What animals can be insured on the 4H/FFA policy?
    a. All animals, excluding dolphins
    b. Any animal that walks on 4 legs is eligible
    c. Show animals belonging to club members of the insured 4H or FFA club
  9. Does General Liability cover me if my employees are injured?
    a. No, you will need a Workers Compensation policy to cover your employees
    b. Yes.
    c. Only if you’re at fault
  10. Are my farm employees allowed to drive my insured farm automobiles?
    a. Only if they drive under 10 miles per hour
    b. Yes, if their driving record is acceptable
    c. Yes, but off-road vehicles are excluded



  1. What is “umbrella coverage” anyway?
    Answer: B. Umbrella coverage provides higher limits of protection against bodily injury or property damage claims by a third party.
  2. Which of the following is NOT considered a ‘dwelling?’
    Answer: C. A dwelling is a house, apartment or other place where you live.
  3. If you want to contact your local agent, what do you do?
    Answer: A. Visit the Find An Agent page on the OKFB website.
  4. What is a CD?
    Answer: C. A certificate of deposit – a low-risk money management tool that provides you with a fixed interest rate. When you deposit your money into the account, however, you agree not to make any withdrawals for a certain period of time. You get your money in addition to whatever was earned in interest back at the end of that time.
  5. Can I place a jet ski on a boat insurance policy?
    Answer: A. Yes. Boat Insurance options and features include:
    Medical payments
    Physical damage
    Ask your OKFB agent about insuring your jet skis on a Boat Insurance policy.
  6. I’m building a custom home. Can I insure my home at any time throughout the construction process?
    Answer: B. No, the policy must be put into effect before construction of the building begins above ground level. If you’re a builder, then check out available coverage options for builders.
  7. How many Oklahoma counties have OKFB offices?
    Answer: B. You can find OKFB agents in all 77 Oklahoma counties. Use the Find An Agent tool to locate an agent in your area.
  8. What animals can be insured on the 4H/FFA policy?
    Answer: C. You may insure show animals belonging to club members of the insured 4H or FFA club. Raising a lamb, pig or other farm animal for 4-H or FFA club exhibitions or contests requires skill, hard work and lots of dedication. Therefore, consider insuring your animals with 4-H and FFA insurance from a company that understands the effort you put into your show animals.
  9. Does General Liability cover me if there are injuries to my employees?
    Answer: A. You will need a Workers Compensation policy to cover your employees. However, if you don’t know what kind, or how much coverage you need, contact your OKFB agent. We’re happy to help!
  10. Are my farm employees allowed to drive my insured farm automobiles?
    Answer: B. Yes, farm employees may drive your insured farm automobiles however, their driving record must acceptable. You can easily provide their driver’s license information to your OKFB agent to add them as approved drivers.



Why Do I Need Recreation Insurance?

Summer is right around the corner! This means, taking the boat out for a spin or hopping on an ATV is a high chance. While you are having fun, ensure your recreational vehicles have the right amount of coverage. Check out why a boat, motorhome, motorcycle, and off-road vehicles may need Recreation Insurance instead of Auto or Home Insurance.

1. Liability

Liability coverage under Auto or Home Insurance may not cover accidents that happen on a boat, motorhome, motorcycle or off-road vehicle. This is why having liability coverage on these vehicles could be critical in the event of a liability claim or lawsuit. Additionally, this coverage can help provide peace of mind while you’re out enjoying what Oklahoma has to offer. 

2. Medical Payments

Just like Auto Insurance, Recreation Insurance offers medical payment coverage. Now, you can enjoy spring and summer activities knowing you and your passengers are covered during the unexpected.

3. Damage

Accidents can happen at any time. For this reason, having collision or physical damage coverage on a recreational vehicle is critical. It provides coverage in the event of damage regardless of fault. Let us focus on securing your recreational vehicles, and you can focus on having fun. 

Insuring recreational vehicles with Recreation Insurance can provide the protection you need. With it in mind, you can rest easy and live in the moment this spring and summer. As can be seen, there are a lot of coverage options under our Recreation Insurance. If you have questions or would like to discuss coverage options, consult your local OKFB Insurance Agent today.